Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Hello.. Is it me your looking for?

On my quest for a partner, i have been confronted with maybe a dilema. Shall i go for a girl or a guy?? I know it may sound trivial, but which is the best combo? The advertising industry seems to be dominated by males and a strong female team might be the most employable approach. But then, we all know what girls are like, they let politics get in the way of work. Where as an all boy team might be more desirable as they have that blokey attitude and things seem like less of a constant dog fight. Or is the mixed team the best, a bit from both worlds being able to contribute to briefs from both genders views.

However, i am sure there will be those that argue, talent comes first, but i cant help thinking, that the team structure is probably one of the very first impressions you can give to an agency. Is there a current trend in combinations?? In your experience who make the best teams?

But for now, let Lionell entertain you....

3 comments:

Adam Richardson said...

If your a CW find a good AD, if your an AD find a good CW. Either way it doesn't matter as long as you both do your jobs and you can do the job well together. Here we have all male, all female and mixed, I'm in a mixed. Not out of choice but out of the fact that we write good ad's. Until the point you've met 'the one' (partner wise) I wouldn't exclude anyone.

Creative Park said...

Hi Emily

I wrote something on this a while back, have a read.

http://creativeparklondon.blogspot.com/2008/07/finding-right-partner.html

I agree whole heartdly with Adam though, good work is good work, we don't partner up to be best buddies (although it always helps)

Gorilla Blogger said...

Hi Emily.
Just wanted to stop by and share my experience, first of all thanks for the blog - it's 'ace'cellent! A real inspiration, and as it happens, I am also looking for a partner to share my life with.

I am a young, single male, who loves everything from Ogilvy to Mother to Lionell. I'm not too tall, not too short, and I always wash.

Though if I'm totally honest, my advice might go against all my good selling points. For I would suggest that the best teams are usually same sex. In my experience, when I teamed up with my girlfriend she just didnt come up with good ideas. She wasn't built for the industry and, with a background in retail, she didn't really know what exactly to expect.

Given my experience, I would advise against SS partnerships. Perhaps it's like the majority of friendships or partnerships out there, like joey and chandler. Look at Will and Grace, how many seasons did that last (Not as many as friends).

Sorry if my writing is a bit jumbled, I just ate half a pack of jaffa cakes. Again.

Good luck