Thursday, August 13, 2009

Show and Tell



Ahoy there,

I'm back from my travels. I've seen pirate ships, towers, shores,the high seas and parrots, lots of parrots.

Along the way, my attention was quickly grabbed by the maritime flags used on ships to communicate messages. Each flag denotes a letter and/or message. A prize will be awarded to who works out what the above maritime flags spell out, answers on a postcard please (or comment)! I find this type of visual communication intriguing. I think it's the interactive, code breaking instinct bit that interests me. Brings me back to the old theory days of semiotics and reading the signs. In this case more consciously reading the signs than subconsciously. But never the less its a successful style of communication that has stuck out the years.






so my actual holidays are over and in between Cates holidays and HS&P placement, I'm now having a go at sorting "emilyandcate.co.uk" website out.

Websites, Blasted things. I think maybe my over ambitious website plan maybe indeed scrapped. ooops. So for now I'm going to put together a simple website just to get the ball rolling. However, one would suggest using a website template guide such as Carbonmade, saves time and looks sleek. But im developing a nasty taste for ".carbonmade" sites. The reasons you may ask? Well i've decided, its simply lazy and lacks any personality. I know that pretty much everyone in my class had one. I'm starting to think its the black, polypocket filled portfolio of the online world ;boring and lacking any sort of creative finesse. I would like to know other peoples opinions on this subject... am I just jumping onto creative snobbery land? Or, as creative and Juniors at that are like pack hyenas,slobbering all over the same placments and jobs, that we should be making more effort with our self promotion from the pack and avoid pre-made sites?

hmmmm rant over... I did have a relaxing holiday, honest!

No comments: