Thursday, July 15, 2010

The ideal formula



This is a very long overdue post, of which I have had in my blog drafts for a while. Never the less it's still a very debatable subject. Creating the perfect portfolio always seems to be some sort of magical formula where only a magical circle of creatives can tell you that your book is great. The fact is there really is no right answer of what you should include. Back in May, I read a post on Hey Whipple's blog. Where he talked about what makes an ideal creative candidate and how digital knowledge and work are becoming increasingly important yet this alone will not make you hirable. It's the strength of creativity that makes you worth a paycheck and yes a Creative and not a digital programmer or coder.

I agreed with this post, for example the other week I went to crit some graduate books and I was gob-smacked at how they all looked like Wired magazine. Cut 'n' pasted and slapped into plastic wallets. Did a portfolio full of different new medias impress me? Well er... NO. I know the range of media platforms available to me and so do, it seems, most of the media savvy students. So, out of all the books the one that impressed me the most was actually pretty much straight forward press ads, with a couple of inventions thrown in. This got my attention as it showed they can think, solve problems and persuade people without the crutch of a gimmick or new media.

So back to basics I say, just show people you can think and that it's not the medium that carries your idea. In actual fact the media could be anything and it would still be great. I would like to see brave young creatives go back to basics. By all means show that they feel confident about how to use different media and digital platforms, but an Idea should be able to be written in a few sentences and work without any execution or technique.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I think you're right that the idea should always come first, but I would encourage students and grads to include some digital work in their book. I'm not talking banner ads but an integrated campaign that shows how something can live online, particularly in social media. I love that kind of stuff! I suppose it depends on what kind of agencies you want to work for though. Nice post by the way.

The Idea Bakery said...

I think in the context that i saw the portoflios which was in a quick, speed dating style that the work that interested me needed no explanation. Perhaps a digital strategy is actually bettter presented on an online format, where you can guide people through the consumer journey. Hari and Petra from WK show digital ideas this very well. http://harri.se/harriandpetra/