Thursday, July 3, 2008

Digital Disciples

I'm having a crit next week and every crit I've had I have been told about the importance of expanding concepts to new and exciting digital formats. I don't know if its just in my little uni bubble, but im just not getting reved up about it all.

Whilst reading "Digital Disiples" by Patrick Burgoyne in this month CR I found a quote which pretty much back up how i feel :

" Digital advertising has produced nothing of any note. If all about being entertaining and engaging, then we havent done anything significant yet. We're still making shitty microsites" Flo Heiss, Dare.

Im sure that i will come round to the idea of thinking digitally maybe first, rather than a last medium and doing it not just to impress creatives to give me a job but that its the best and most exiting,challenging way to communicate.

Im going to work on some more digital responses and post them here shortly.

What do we think?? Is the classic age of press,tv and radio really dying out to digital?? So i try thinking digitally first?

On a happier note. This new Advert ticked all the bakery boxes. Lovely

4 comments:

Creative Park said...

My advice to you would be to look beyond what you already know about the web.

So beyond the traditional microsite and look towards something new, I know people still like to use the term web 2.0 and social networking but elements like these are great for a campaign.

User participation is key these days in any good online campaign.

Hayley said...

I must admit, I feel a little the same about digital - it's certainly not my forte! But unfortunately it is important to be thinking about now. As creative park said above, user participation is definitely a good way of approaching the digital media outlets.

And funny that you commented on the new Kipling ad as I have today (though we think differently of it!) : )

Biscuit Barrel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Biscuit Barrel said...

I feel exactly the same and i think that quote has hit it spot on! Very true!

I'm doing Foundation Creative Advertising at Newcastle College, Got one more year of a two year course. Where are you studying? Where do you want to work? Most people on my course don't have any idea what they want to be or where they want to go.

I visited Leith, Union and NewHaven when i went up to Edinburgh, but it was the later two who were more interested. Seemed nice guys though :)