Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Acacemia

After much controversy, the dissertation has been handed in! There has been many talks at my university with external examiners and course leaders over the necessity of the 10,000 word dissertation that forms a double module for our creative course.

Within my university there are two sides arguing for and against a dissertation element. One side believe that a degree is only a degree if it has a long piece of written theory. Whilst others believe that this idea is old fashioned and excludes a lot of creative students that excel in creativity and not academic writing. If you think of it in another way, it would be odd to give say a student studying maths a double award creative project. Myself, well, I felt proud to hand in a chunky bit of work and it means i will get that "Hons" on the end of my degree, oh yeah! It took me over half a year to research and I got really involved in my investigation. However, I think it may have distracted from my practical work, but i made just one day a week solely for research and writing. I think that perhaps, that one day a week i could have been making much better use of my time like visiting agencies, doing more briefs etc. After all, agencies never ask to see your dissertation. I would like to know what creatives outside of university think of creatives having to write academic projects. Does it help or distract a creative?

Since the University has analyzed the arguments, a "critical journal" has been introduced, to link research with portfolios. Any how, the deed has been done and good riddance.

Back to the practical. We have an A.M.V week long brief being set this Thursday and a W.K visit the week after. Bring on the long nights.

1 comment:

Luke & Wilf beta said...

I actually think that it's quite a good thing to write a dissertation, even though both you and I are on creative courses.

In my eyes, a dissertation allows us to take a theoretical look at aspects of our industry, and allows us as younger advertisers to try and gain knowledge about the industry we want to work in. I think that a lot of agencies look for wider thinking, even if we are creatives and not planners.

Although, yes it does hinder us working on our books, but I think in the long term, it's a sacrifice worth making. Especially as it surely develops us overall.

P.S, sorry for the long post, it's something we only just finished as well.

Luke